Watford Population 2024 ❤️

Watford is a city in Hertfordshire, England, with a population of around 96,000 people. It is an important commercial and cultural centre for the region. The town also offers a variety of amenities and attractions that attract people from all walks of life. With its diverse range of housing options, shops, parks, educational facilities, and jobs available in the area, Watford is an attractive place to live for many.

Based on our research, Watford population will reach 97,363 by 1st July of 2024. We use first day of July each year due to Office for National Statistics (ONS) normally publishes the estimated population data for the same period. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 0.55% over last 12 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.

Population Growth of Watford

Looking back over the last 12 years, Watford’s population growth has been quite inconsistent. It ranges from -0.20% to 2.14%, adding -190 to 1,965 people to the overall population. In recent years, the growth rate has slowed even further due to COVID. One of the reasons contributes to Watford’s population growth is its proximity to London and other major cities in the area.

Year Population Growth rate
2011 90,653 n/a
2012 91,940 1.42%
2013 93,905 2.14%
2014 95,553 1.75%
2015 96,348 0.83%
2016 96,577 0.24%
2017 96,675 0.10%
2018 96,767 0.10%
2019 96,577 -0.20%
2020 96,623 0.05%
2021 96,703 0.08%
2022 96,752 0.05%
2023 96,828 0.08%

Demographics of Watford

The population of Watford is primarily white (72%), with non-white minorities making up the remaining 28% of the population, according to the most recent 2011 census.

Watford’s median age in 2019 was 37.1, with those over 18 making up 77.6% of the population. There were 98.5 men for every 100 females in the population. By region, compare the median age.

With 54% of the population being Christians, they make up the largest religious group in Watford.

11% of the remaining population in Watford speaks English either well or very well, with 86.5% of the population using it as their primary language. 0.3% did not speak any English, while 1.9% admitted to having weak language skills.

Population Density of Watford

The population density of Watford is 4,509 people per square kilometer.

Facts About Watford

  1. The largest industry in Watford by the 1920s was printing.
  2. The settlement is frequently mistaken for being a Watford Gap highway service stop. Actually, it isn’t.
  3. In Watford, there are 92 nationally recognised structures. St. Mary’s Church, which was built in the 12th century, is one example of this.
  4. Watford Rovers, the predecessor to Watford Football Club, was founded in 1886.
  5. In 1964, The Who frequently performed in Watford and Carpenders Park. They performed a number of times at The Mine and the Trade Union Hall.
  6. Duran Duran’s lead vocalist Simon Le Bon was born in Watford.


The following links provide data for this topic: