Nottingham is a city of England. The city is the ninth biggest city in the whole of United Kingdom with population over 330,000.
It is a city that is linked to the popular Robin Hood, Nottingham used to be the place the hero was living. Nottingham is an important place for tourism; many tourists come from outside the United Kingdom to visit Nottingham. It is presently the sixth big revenue generating center in the country. Nottingham is also linked to tobacco industries, lace making and bicycles.
Nottingham is known for its remarkable transportation system. The transportation system is one of the largest transportation networks in the country. The city has a developed rail station and the modern transit cable car structure for transportation.
Based on our research, Nottingham population will reach 339,973 by 1st July of 2023. We use first day of July each year due to Office for National Statistics (ONS) normally publishes the estimated population data for the same period. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 0.89% over last 11 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Nottingham
Considering the population of Nottingham in the last eleven years, the growth rate of the population is very slow and steady. The growth rate ranges from 0.56 percent to 1.33 percent, adding 1,800 to 4,100 people per year.
Demographics of Nottingham
Variety of ethnic groups exists in Nottingham. Whites are the largest group of people in the city (84.91 percent), the British whites are 81.05 percent of the population. Other white people are Irish white (1.36 percent) and whites from outside the country (2.5 percent). The other ethnic groups include Asians (7.4 percent), Blacks (4.34 percent), Mixed (3.13 percent), Arabs (0.47 percent).
English is the most spoken language in Nottingham, 87.4 percent of the population speaks English. Other languages are Polish 2.23 percent, Arabic 0.78 percent, Urdu 1.39 percent, Punjabi 0.84 percent, French 0.29 percent, Portuguese 0.28 percent, Greek 0.23 percent.
According to the 2011 census, Christianity is the major religion in the city. 44.23 percent of the population are Christians, 0.67 are Buddhist, 0.35 percent are Jews, Muslims are 8.81 percent of the population, Hindu religion is practised by 1.47 of the population and people with no religion are 34.99 percent of the population.
Population Density of Nottingham
The population density of Nottingham is 4,359 people per square kilometer. The city is denser than some surrounding cities in England.
Facts About Nottingham
- The heroic Rodin Hood lived in Nottingham.
- The goose fair in Nottingham is one of the oldest events in the world. This even is a yearly travelling carnival that started around 1284. The goose fair held in the first week of October every year at the forest recreation ground.
- Ibuprofen which a well-known pain killer that was discovered in Nottingham forest by a Pharmacist who works in the city.
- The deepest toned bell known as Little John is present in Nottingham. This bell sounds every fifteen minutes and when it is stricken, the sound of the bell can be heard from a distance of seven miles away from the location of the bell.
- There are two universities in the city. The universities are the Nottingham Trent University and the more popular University of Nottingham forest.
- George Green is a scientist from Nottingham, his work developed the field of material science. George was highly recognized by the physics genius, Albert Einstein.
The following links provide data for this topic: