Stoke-on-Trent Population 2024 ❤️

The city of Stoke-on-Trent is one of the youngest cities in England, with a population that is estimated to be around 250,000. It has a rich history and heritage which has helped shape the area into what it is today. Its location on the River Trent and its proximity to other major cities such as London, Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester have helped the area grow and prosper over time. It is the administrative centre for Staffordshire and the sixth largest city in England.

Based on our research, Stoke on Trent population will reach 258,083 by 1st July of 2024. We use first day of July each year due to Office for National Statistics (ONS) normally publishes the estimated population data for the same period. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 0.28% over last 12 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.

Population Growth of Stoke on Trent

Looking back over the last 12 years, Stoke-on-Trent’s population growth has been quite slow but consistent. It ranges from 0.08% to 0.76%, adding 195 to 1,913 people to the overall population. In recent years, the growth rate has slowed even further due to COVID.

In Stoke-on-Trent, the population size has increased by 3.8%, from around 249,000 in 2011 to 258,400 in 2021. This is lower than the overall increase for England (6.6%), where the population grew by nearly 3.5 million to 56,489,800.At 3.8%, Stoke-on-Trent’s population increase is lower than the increase for the West Midlands (6.2%).

Year Population Growth rate
2011 248,719 n/a
2012 249,792 0.43%
2013 250,194 0.16%
2014 250,956 0.30%
2015 251,746 0.31%
2016 253,659 0.76%
2017 255,378 0.68%
2018 255,833 0.18%
2019 256,375 0.21%
2020 256,622 0.10%
2021 256,837 0.08%
2022 257,032 0.08%
2023 257,350 0.12%

Demographics of Stoke on Trent

In Stoke-on-Trent, the birthplace of 91.68% of the population, 86.43 percent of people are classified as White British, 4.1 percent as British Pakistani, and 1.8 percent as Other White. 1.35 percent are classified as other Asian, and 1.36 percent as black. 60.89% of people identified as Christians, 6.02% as Muslims, and 25.19% as having no religion when asked about their religion. The population included 5.61% students and 14.28% retired people.

The population of Stoke-on-Trent is primarily white (89%), with non-white minorities making up the remaining 11% of the population, according to the most recent 2011 census.In Stoke-on-Trent, the population was over 18 for 79.5% of the population, with a median age of 37.2. There were 101.4 men for every 100 females in the population.

In Stoke-on-Trent, English is spoken as the primary language by 94.1% of the population, and by 4% of those who do not, it is spoken either well or very well. 0.2% did not speak any English, while 1.2% admitted to having weak language skills.

Population Density of Stoke on Trent

The population density of Stoke on Trent is 2,746 people per square kilometer.

Facts About Stoke on Trent

  1. Stoke-on-Trent is otherwise known as The Potteries and is officially the World Capital For Ceramics.
  2. Stoke-on-Trent is a federation of six much older towns forming a linear city almost twelve miles long with an area of 36 square miles.
  3. The name Stoke is taken from the town of Stoke-upon-Trent, the original ancient parish, with other settlements being chapelries..
  4. Stoke had one of the best football teams in the country in the late 1930s.
  5. Stoke-on-Trent borders Newcastle-under-Lyme and its larger borough, which is handled independently and is located to the west. It is located between Manchester, Wolverhampton, and Birmingham.
  6. Based on a number of variables, including commercial real estate, energy, virtual offices, public transportation, and financial access, Quality Formations selected Stoke-on-Trent as the second best location to launch a business in 2016.
  7. Stoke-on-Trent supported the equal treatment of men and women, encouraged the use of Sunday schools to enhance children’s education, and was active in the temperance campaign.
  8. Stoke-on-Trent was the first active footballer to receive a Knighthood.


The following links provide data for this topic: