Situated on the bank of River Clyde in the West Central Lowlands, Glasgow is the largest city of Scotland and the fourth largest of United Kingdom by population. The city has a total population over 608,000.
Economically, Glasgow comprises the third largest GDP Per capita in the United Kingdom after Edinburgh and London. The economic growth rate of Glasgow is 4.4% annually, the largest of all cities, after London. The city has maintained above 410,000 employments in more than 12,000 companies.Glasgow is the 6th best city for the students in the United Kingdom. Glasgow incorporates four universities, among which, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university of United Kingdom and is counted among the top 100 universities of the world.
The city incorporates numerous enthralling sites like Kelvin grove Art Gallery and Museum, Riverside Museum, Glasgow Cathedral, Gallery of Modern Art, etc. Thus, a large number of tourists make Glasgow as their visiting destination.
Based on our research, Glasgow population will reach 614,839 by 1st July of 2021. We use first day of July each year due to Office for National Statistics (ONS) normally publishes the estimated population data for the same period. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 0.28% over last 10 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Glasgow
From the past 9 years, the population of Glasgow has increased within the growth rate of 0.1% to 0.43%, summing up 630 to 2,570 number of individuals to the population.
Demographics of Glasgow
According to the UK Census 2011, 51% of the population of Glasgowis based on females and the remaining 49% on males. By racial proportion, White people make up 88.4% of the population of Glasgow.
In the 60’s and 70’s, large number of people from the Asian countries migrated to Glasgow. Among them, 30,000 Asians were from Pakistan, 15,000 belonged to India, 3,000 were Bangladeshis and some people from China. The city also inhabits 8,406 Polish people, making 1.42% of the Glasgow populace. Many Italian from Scotland, also live in Glasgow.
In Glasgow, English, Scots and Gaelic are three major speaking languages. By religion, Christianity is the largest religion being followed in Glasgow, with 54.5% of the populace as followers. Muslims makes up 5.4% of the population of Glasgow.
Population Density of Glasgow
The density of population of Glasgow is 3,521 people per square kilometer, making it the largest city of the Scotland.
Facts About Glasgow
- Eleven defunct fossilized trees are older than 330 million years to a time when the climate of Glasgow was warm and humid.
- The Glasgow City Council was built in City Chamber, in 1996. The building has more marble than the Vatican.
- Clockwork Orange, the underground railway system of Glasgow, is the third oldest underground system of the world.
- The Glasgow Tower earned the Guinness World Record, for its ability to be rotated 360 degrees in the presence of wind.
- Besides Turbine Hall, Tramway is the largest art gallery of the United Kingdom.
- The Britannia Panopticon is the oldest running concert hall throughout the globe.
- The Hunterian Museum of Glasgow is the oldest museum in Scotland, for public use.
- Glasgow hosted the first international association football game in 1872.
- The glorious Victorian bar, Horseshoe Bar, is the oldest running bar in Europe.
- Glasgow incorporates 20 art galleries and museums, which dwells the most eminent collection of arts and historical antiques of Europe.
The following links provide data for this topic: