Coventry is a city of England with population over 370,000. It is also a cosmopolitan district in the country. Coventry is the ninth biggest city in England and the twelfth biggest city in the UK. This city was the capital and the base of the Government of England two times during the 15th century. It is located at the region of the West Midlands but it is just a part of Warwickshire.Coventry is smaller than Birmingham city and therefore, it is the second largest city in the West Midlands region of the country.
Based on our research, Coventry population will reach 375,896 by 1st July of 2021. We use first day of July each year due to Office for National Statistics (ONS) normally publishes the estimated population data for the same period. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 1.72% over last 10 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Coventry
The population of Coventry in the past 9 years can be used to estimate the population of the country in 2020. The growth rate of the country is very strong but consistent, only exception is in 2016 with slower growth rate of 0.66%. The growth ranges from 0.66% to 1.74%, adding around 5,144 to 7,957 people each year to the total population.
Demographics of Coventry
There are various ethnic groups in Coventry, but the whites are the majority of the population with 73.8 percent of the population. The second most populated ethnic group in the city are the Asians that are 16.3 percent of the population. Other ethnic groups include Blacks (5.5 percent), Mixed races (2.7 percent), Arab (0.6 percent) and others (1.0 percent). The ethnic minority inhabitants are 33.4 percent of the population and this population focused on the Foleshill and the St. Michael’s wards as their site of living.
The dominant religion in Coventry is Christianity, Christians are 53.7 percent of the total population. Islamic religion is the next most practiced religion in the city, 7.5 percent of the population are Muslims. Other religions are Hindu, Jewish, Sikh, Buddhism etc. Approximately 23 percent of people living in Coventry claimed they do not have a religion.
A huge number of immigrants enter Coventry every year, around fifteen thousand of these population are students coming from countries that are not part of the United Kingdom.
Population Density of Coventry
The population density of Coventry is estimated to be 8,050 persons per each square kilometer. The population of the city is quite dense when compared to other cities in England.
Facts About Conventry
- The writer from Stratford, William Shakespeare is said to have abandoned a Coventry lady the night before their wedding before he went ahead and marry Anne Hathaway.
- Air raid shelters were built in Coventry in 1938, 12 months before the beginning of the second world war.
- There are three twin towns of the city in the United States. All the towns are named after Coventry because they established by weavers from the city, running away from the starvation and poverty that was spreading during the nineteenth century.
- Stratford-upon-Avon is the 2nd busiest tourist center in the United Kingdom, tourist from the United State of America spend roughly twenty-five million pounds each year on the tourist center.
- Coventry has twenty-six twin towns and metropolitan populations. Volgograd is an example of the twin towns.
- In 1896, an automobile industry was created in the city by Daimler. He transformed an abandoned cotton company to the automobile industry.
The following links provide data for this topic: