The capital of wales is Cardiff and the city is the largest city in the country with population over 360,000. Historically, it is a county of Glamourgan and it is a member of the Eurocities network
Cardiff is 11th on the list of the of the biggest cities in the United Kingdom. Cardiff is the focus for various business activities in the country. It is also the site for the national media in wales, where majority of sports activities take place and where the National Assembly in Wales is located.
The population of Cardiff represents one third of the population of Wales. Cardiff is a noteworthy tourist center and the most visited place in the country. The city is the sixth most visited tourist center in the world.
Based on our research, Cardiff population will reach 363,193 by 1st July of 2018. We use first day of July each year due to Office for National Statistics (ONS) normally publishes the estimated population data for the same period. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 0.69% over last 7 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Cardiff
From the population of Cardiff in the past seven years, it can be seen below that the growth rate of the city is slow and consistent. The growth rate of the city ranges from 0.42% to 1.04%, adding roughly 1,500 to 3,600 people to the population every year.
Demographics of Cardiff
There are various ethnic groups in Cardiff because of the immigration of foreigners that came to the city for trading, studies and shelter after war. According to the 2011 census, the whites are the major ethnic group in Cardiff with 84.7 percent of the population. Other groups are Blacks (2.4 percent), Asians (8 percent), Arabs (0.6 percent), Mixed (2.9%).
Welsh language was the most spoken language in Cardiff before the Victorian era. English and Welsh are currently the most spoken language in the city. Arabic is the major foreign language spoken in Cardiff. Other languages spoken in the city includes French, Latin, Norman French etc.
Christianity is the largest religion in Cardiff, the biggest cathedral in the city is Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral. Jews are present in Cardiff; two synagogues are presently located in the city. Judaisms also live in the city and it is the second oldest religion in the city.
Population Density of Cardiff
The population density of Cardiff is 6,400 people per square kilometer. The city is quite densely populated than other cities in the country.
Facts About Cardiff
- The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff is one of the stadiums with the largest rooftops in the world. The capacity of the stadium is seventy-four thousand and sports like Football and Rugby can be played in the stadium.
- Cardiff has one of the largest population of students in the United Kingdom.
- The world’s oldest record store is located in Cardiff.
- Cardiff is one of the cities with high number of castles in the world. The city claims to be the city with the largest number of castles on the planet.
- The oldest record store, Spillers Records, in the world can be found in Cardiff. Spillers
- Plenty of well-known individuals come from Cardiff, including: singer Shirley Bassey, author Roald Dahl, footballer Ryan Giggs etc.
- Since Doctor Who was brought back to television in 2005, its home has been with BBC Cardiff.
- Cardiff claims to have more castles than any other city in the world. The remains of several other castles exist.
The following links provide data for this topic: